Monday, November 14, 2011

Highchairs and Church Pews



Every good and perfect gift is from above,
 coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who
does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
I know this truth deep down in my soulIn fact I have so many stories/examples of this in my life, that friends have told me that I should write a book. I have experienced it over and over again. Today I will share just two stories that have brought
this truth to life for me.

In 1997, my son was born.
What a joy!
Truly a gift from Heaven.
TrueLove and I were renting a tiny little cottage
that actually was quite romantic and fun.
That season was a challenging financial
time as many can relate to when starting a family
in one of the most expensive regions in the country.
I was beginning to see God's provisions and realizing the 
faithfulness and timeliness of them.
By the time Jake was getting old enough to sit 
in a high chair I began to look at our 
postage size dining area and dream 
about how an old fashioned wooden high chair
would fit the cozy cabin feel of the space,
not to mention, 
the new models on the market that year
had huge bases that would not function in the room. They were ugly and cumbersome.
I wanted a wooden chair and that was before
Craig's List, Etsy, and all the wonders available 
these days. I didn't know where to even begin looking other
than garage sales and the chances seemed slim. Plus I was busy busy with this delightful, bundle of baby.
I think I mumbled some sort of,
"God, I sure wish that I could find a wooden highchair."
That week, I was playing with Jake in our cozy little 
living room and heard a knock at the door.
A neighbor whom I hadn't met asked
if I might like a wooden highchair.
I was obviously wowed.
She said that she saw
the "Welcome" banner in our driveway a
few months ago. She had kept this highchair thinking
her kids would want it and she had
tired of waiting around for them to take it.
I told her that I'd been praying that 
I'd be able to find one.
That afternoon she delivered it,
she did not want money as it was a favor
to her that I would take it off her hands.
It was EXACTLY, EXACTLY what I had pictured in my head.
I LOOOOOOOVED IT!
You see, this story is very special to me
because it was that day that I realized that
God knew what I needed. 
He was good at providing what I NEEDED. 
Very good!
However, he also knew what I WANTED and 
could provide that too. He loves to surprise us
with the very thing that we WANT sometimes.
Well since that story was longer than I thought,
I'll share this last sweet story.
I've always wanted a church pew.
I know they are out there.
I figured if I wanted one, that everyone did 
and that they'd be much more money than 
I'd allow myself to spend.
I didn't pray about it.
I have all the furniture that I need.
God has a way of giving me furniture and
when people come to my home,
they are often surprised at how few
things I've actually purchased
(and how much we have crammed in here.
In perfect form,
the other day TrueLove was helping
a friend clear out his shop storage.
I got a very unromantic call from TrueLove
asking, "Do you want a church pew?"
I came home that afternoon and there it was.
Seriously.
Didn't even ask this time.
I want to follow up these stories with some encouragement.
These are very challenging economic times and 
I don't want to seem insensitive
to people who may be out there
just asking for food on the
table.
First,
consider yourself hugged.
I believe that God will provide that need
in surprising ways for you,
or whatever your needs may be.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to that 
person praying for a highchair and say,
"If you think THIS is a challenging time,
just wait."
I just hope that you are encouraged to
ask for provision and humbly be
specific.
I know God to enjoy surprising us
and knocking our socks off
and often times
when we are 
not even
asking.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. Nicole, you don't know how much I needed to read this and be reminded of God's amazing love!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I'm so happy that this post meant something to you. Those were only two stories and boy, do I have a LOT more!!! I'd love to share.

    ReplyDelete