Monday, December 5, 2011

Correction/Lemon Verbena NOOOOT!!!!


I ran this post a few days ago and my SuperAwesomeSmartFruitIdentifyingNeighborChris
informed me politely that my amazing fragrant exotic lemony thing is NOT
lemon verbena, but actually called
BUDDAH'S HAND.
This is a much more appropriate name as the "pedals" look very much finger-like.
If you have already searched for it under the bogus name, 
I greatly apologize.
The bright side of this is that I learned something new,
and you know that I am not above correction.
If I flub, I will tell you.
It was what I was told, so perhaps I need to go back to that farmer's market
and shake my Buddah's finger at the man
and tell him what this baby is really called.
I won't.
I'm just happy now that we all know.


Wow!!!
I've never seen it before in the flesh!!!
This is a crazy looking fruit.
When you stick your 
face in the middle
of that thing
the most
AMAZING FRAGRANCE
envelops you!
Imagine the smell of Meyer Lemons
on 
steroids.
No, it's better than that.

I had no idea what to do with it.
I asked the gentleman at the Farmer's Market what I could do with it
and here are his suggestions.
  1. Zest it! It's a juiceless lemon, so anything you would use zest for works.
  2. Set it in the middle of a floral arrangement or just use it as the arrangement, the fragrance is strong enough to fill a space.
  3. Stick the peels in vodka, seal, wait a few weeks and voila! Lemoncello
  4. Slice the peels thin, sprinkle with sugar, back 10 - 15 min. at 350 and you have candied lemon peels.
  5. Use the peels for garnish in a Lemon Drop or Strawberry Lemonade
I'm definitely trying a few of these suggestions.
Please comment if you've got some ideas of your own.
I've never had one before but I'm in LOVE!
It's a freaky looking specimen but this fragrance is intoxicatingly fabulous!

For those of you, like me, haven't discovered this guy face-to-face,
but are sold based on my short blurb,
I found it at the Farmer's Market in the Shadeland's parking lot in Walnut Creek.

I've never been to this Farmer's Market before but I recommend it.
Awesome parking, it's just the right size to get in and out quick,
the farmers are super friendly, and it's just one long aisle.
I liked the one long aisle thing because often I scan the aisles first for best
prices and then can't remember where I found what.
So this is simplified and I also recommend it because you can find
crazy good smelling
Lemon Verbena
there!




No comments:

Post a Comment