Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Juniper Berries


Uh-oh.
It seems that THE COUGH that has been lingering
in Calli's chest just got passed off to Jake.
Oh dear.
Perfect timing (heavy sarcasm) as he's 
preparing for a speech tournament
this weekend.
I've tried all of my regular homeopathics,
so when I get a tip off of something
new, that I've never heard of,
I try it.
Juniper Berries.
Those sticky berries that grow in our yards?
Yep.
Of course I bought them at Whole Foods.
Here is a list of things that Juniper Berries can improve: blood sugar levels, bladder function, congestion, prevents bloating, improves digestion, gout, arthritis, muscle pain, intestinal gas, stomach pain, gastrointestinal infections, cancer, weight loss, cleansing toxins from the blood, tooth aches, acne, etc
IN fact, Juniper Berries were believed to ward off the plague.
We don't have the plague, but it sure feels like it when it
disrupts everything else and makes you feel 
miserable.
So here's what to do.
But a big handful of Juniper Berries. I found them in the bulk area of Whole Foods,
in a little display area designated for spices.
Wash them off.


They smell like a pine tree air-freshener. Very strong.
Then put them in your mortar and pestle and smash them up.


Do this while you are boiling water. 
While the water is boiling, you can throw a towel over your head,
lean over the pot and inhale the vapors as well.
Use this process for some good aromatherapy.

Once the water has boiled, turn off the heat
and let the berry smash seep for 15 minutes.


Then pour through a strainer and into a pitcher or container.
Sorry I needed three hands to photograph that step.
What you get is a strong, piney, bitter tasting tea that you add lots of honey to.
It is not a pleasant tea, it is medicinal and it tastes medicinal.
I tried it for the first time last night and although
Jake was not healed instantly,
I will report that he had a very good night sleep.
I did not hear him cough one time during the
night which I was very concerned about.
This remedy can be done 2-3x a day
and in all of the research I have
done, I have not read of any 
side effects.
(Except if you drink too much of the distilled kind, aka "gin".)




No comments:

Post a Comment