Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Luxurious Coconut Basil Gluten Free Pasta


Well, sorry for the long name.
I wasn't sure what to call it,
other than "insanely good" dinner.
I wanted to blog about it immediately so that
I'd remember what I did.
First,
I'll tell you what is in it.
quinoa noodles
onions
coconut oil
CURRY POWDER
olive oil
garlic
kale
canned tomatoes drained
 Seggiano raw basil pesto (an amazing product you can find at Whole Foods)
light coconut milk (canned kind)
celtic sea salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
and 
skillet chicken

This is a three burner meal.
One to boil the quinoa noodles,
one for the sauce,
and one for the chicken (which I'm so excited to tell you about).
I don't have any groovy pics to make this a tutorial
because I made it up as I went 
and didn't know how crazy-good it would 
end up tasting! 
sorry bout that.
Heat up all you pans on medium heat and start boiling the water
for noodles.

For the chicken:
I bought (2) free range, unadulterated chicken breasts, fresh not frozen.
Just let that stainless steel pan get hot.
Rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
Then generously salt and pepper both sides.
Once you think that pan is nice and hot
throw those chickens down.
Think I forgot something?
I didn't.
Decidedly not!
You do not need oil to make this juicy brown chicken.
Trust me.
This is a trick TrueLove taught me and
it's fool proof, works every time, is 
tasty, juicy, perfect, and
oil free!!!!
Now, cover the pan and let it sit,
do NOT tinker with it,
let it sit and sizzle for 5 - 8 minutes.
Then you will flip it for five minutes
still covered.
Then remove from burner and let sit
while you finish preparing the other
elements.

For the veggies and sauce:
Use about a tablespoon of coconut oil
and throw in the medium chopped onions, garlic (it's ok if the garlic
gets a little golden brown), and keep it moving in the pan.
Sprinkle with celtic sea salt to help the 
onions sweat a little.
Then you will add your strips of kale and let those 
cook for just a few minutes.
Now use about half the jar of the raw basil pesto
(soooooooo good).
Expensive but good.
Add as much curry powder as you like,
I used at least 2 TBSP, maybe a bit more because I love it.
Stir it all up and add a little bit of olive oil.
Salt and pepper.
Then throw in the drained tomatoes and the light
coconut milk.
Let it get nice and hot.
Then throw in about a tablespoon of red pepper flakes
or however many you prefer.

By now the chicken is probably resting and the noodles drained.
Throw the noodles right into the sauce pan and toss around.
I wish I could tell you how luxurious, delicious, and 
belly warming this meal was.
Almost like a Thai Italian Fusion of sorts, 
because you could taste the pesto and the coconut
equally.
Then roughly cut up the chicken and throw it in there.
Jake pounded it down.
I wanted to eat until I burst but my 30 Day thing
makes me eat
small feminine dinner portions.
Good thing I did
because now I get to have some for lunch
tomorrow too.


In an effort to keep it all real,
I'd like to add that I am very comfortable with
experimenting in the kitchen.
I inherited the trait from my mom who could 
whip up something out of nothing
and dazzle everyone.
Sometimes my experiments flop
and we just add a lot of salt 
and choke it down
and 
sometimes
you get an amazing treat
that you wouldn't have thought of before.
This one worked.
I literally made it up as I went
and so glad for my blog
because now
I will remember what I did to make that
scrumptious, healthy, 30Day Friendly,
Coconut Basil Yumminess.





2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try this when I get home! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. recently i read an article on the miracles of coconut oil.. in particular.. how it is slowing and in some cases reversing the effects of Alzheimers ( i know.. really? can coconut oil do that... apparently.. yes.) .. i love that you have recipes that include coconut oil and need to go back and read your post on it.. to learn how to switch over to it in my daily life. thanks again for such LIFESTYLE changing information!

    ReplyDelete