Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sunshine Potato-Egg Bake

This morning my friendly neighbor came over for breakfast. I wanted to make him something decent and fun, since he was giving up his Saturday morning to show me how to blog respectably. So, I've been playing with baked egg recipes and this one I am happy to share with my friends. I'm calling them "Sunshine" because they remind me of the song I love "Pocketful of Sunshine", since the egg sits in a sort potato pocket/groove. Anyways, if you like eggs, sausage, and potato, and all in one bite, then I think you'll like this too.


What you'll need:
3 potatoes
2 sausages
1/3 of package of Neufchatel Cheese 
(you can use light cream cheese, heavy cream cheese, sour cream, anything rich and creamy)
Farm Fresh eggs
Coconut Oil 
(any oil is fine for baking the potatoes, but you'll see in future blogs that coconut oil is always my first choice)
Sea Salt
Pepper



Day before:
Preheat 400
3 Potatoes
2 Sausages, I used a spicy chicken. Dice the sausage and cook.


WASH
(Not that anyone needs a pic of this step, just having fun.)

Pierce with the fork a few times and massage some coconut oil on them.


Stick in the oven, right on the rack
400 degrees for 1 hour
Let cool. Seal up and stick in the fridge.

Morning of:
Slice Potatoes in half lengthwise.


With a small spoon, scoop and scrape the potato out of the skin, being careful not to break the skin. Put the potato filling in a bowl.
Scoop some Neufchatel cheese into the bowl, about 2 dallops, you want to taste the creaminess. It doesn't need to be exact.
Whip them up like mashed potatoes.


Moisten it up with a little milk.
When it looks (and tastes!) like mashed up potatoes, add sausage and salt&pepper. Mash a little more.
Now, scoop that goodness into the potato skins. Make a nice pocket in the middle.


Note: My potatoes were not big enough to handle all the egg my chickies lay, so I quick and coated 6 ramekins with coconut oil and tucked that potato real cozy like inside.


Crack open that farm fresh egg and drop that baby right into that little pocket-bed you made.


Put them on a cookie sheet just so that you can transfer them easier in and out of the oven.
Stick them in the oven till the eggs are set. 425 for about 12 minutes. If you don't like the natural, velvety sauce that a perfect yolk makes when pierced with the fork, then keep yours in the oven a little longer.
Sea salt sprinkle, a crack of the pepper grinder on top.
And wow!
It's good!


I served it up with Peaches and Blueberries, Sausage, Trader Joe's Coffee Cake and some strong coffee. Everyone was full and happy.
If this seems too laborious, I have some thoughts on making this easier and quicker.
Leftover mashed potatoes would be PERFECT! And so easy!! Honestly, they'd taste probably just as good. 
Let me know how you try it and if you find it a keeper!


No comments:

Post a Comment