Monday, October 17, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes




I have been on a little bit of a Slow Roasted Tomato craze.
I love them!
I want to share with you how I do it. 
It's so easy. It does not require a tutorial to teach one how to do it, 
but I like to look at pictures when I blog cruise,
so I'm giving you pictures,
just for fun.
It is truly simple.

I took this medley of tomatoes, some succulent and plump Farmer's Market Heirlooms 
and some crummy Roma tomatoes from the store, which were threatening me
with turning if I didn't dream up something delicious for them. This is 
a great way to use up a bunch of tomatoes fast.
Plus, I won't tell you which member of my family has a tomato phobia.
Without naming any names-it's not me and it's not any of the kids, who can not choke down a raw tomato-"fruit of the evil night shade family" he calls them-OOPS! Did I say "he?!"
Anyways, tomatoes seem to transform into a palatable pleasure when treated to the slow roasting method. Even the "picky" one enjoys this recipe.
First, I washed them up.


I sliced them and threw them in my stone pan.
Any pan is fine, but if using a cookie sheet, line with foil first.
The pan is way easier to clean when you do that.


I piled them in there.


Added a chopped onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic.
I actually put 3 cloves in because one of my kids
is fighting a cold and garlic is a little
kitchen wonder drug.


Then I drizzled Extra Virgin Olive Oil all over these guys. I sprinkled Celtic Sea Salt,
fresh ground pepper, Dried Basil (didn't have fresh on hand) and then stirred it all up.
So easy.
Really.
In the oven on 200 degrees for at least 2 hours.
Imagine, 
such little effort for the intoxicating aroma that fills the house,
like you've been slaving-over-a-hot-stove-all-day-kind-of-smell,
while these are just sitting there perfecting in that low oven
while you're doing nothing.
My mouth is watering a little right now remembering
how good, juicy, and tastes-like-GrandmaCasatico's-cooking this was.
When they're ready, you can do whatever your little 
culinary heart desires.
Mine desired to throw them on top of pasta. 
I had some ground beef from the Farmer's Market too, so I browned it up while my pasta cooked.
Then they all blended together like one big happy family.
Then I fed it to my kids and we ate it all up
like one big happy family.




No comments:

Post a Comment