Tuesday, September 13, 2011

MIKEY! HE LIKES IT!

"Mikey! He like's it!"
Remember that campaign? 
If you don't,
it's because you're younger than me.
Honestly,
I don't remember what the product was,
maybe Malt-O-Meal,
or something.
(I looked it up: Life cereal)
Anyways, this line was the champion anthem for 
mothers of picky eaters who wanted 
to feed their kid
healthy food.



I can relate.
My kids are subjected to a variety
of healthy offerings
because 
I'm always looking for that 
magic tablet 
that will make all their
troubles
go 
away.

Enter, stage right: GREEN SMOOTHY
Audience: (huge) GASP!
What?
You think this is bad?
I haven't even begun to unpack what I've asked, oops-forced,
my kids to try.
This posting is not about the wonderful things
that I've experimented with
and the rash 
of 
contorted face puckers,
"Ew" "yuck!" "TripleGag!"
comments that ensued.
I'm sticking to what works for them, 
the green smoothies that they like
for this posting.

We've tried all kinds of green smoothies
and 
only 2 recipes 
have prevailed and earned
the coveted ranks of
"MIKEY! HE LIKES IT!"

Here's one of them:

I've named it
"Jon's Power Smoothy" 
but I know that sounds so boring.
Sorry. I can't be clever all the time.
I wish I could, but, here's your photographic 
demo
(of the easiest thing to make on earth)
and maybe even an introduction
into some new stuff.

Here are the key players in this recipe:
Frozen Pineapple, and Kale
I know that you are reading this and feeling
suspicious
and I don't blame you,
but
Jake LOVES it!!!
He even makes it himself, he does NOT share,
AND 
he admits that it rocks!!!
There have been many battles so this is a big deal that I'm sharing here.
Trust me on it.



If you don't have one of these BadBoys,
I recommend you put it on your 
Christmas List
or.....
just get one.
I meant for this to be a short post-whoops!-too late now.
I must talk about this BadBoy.
It is a powerhouse in my kitchen. Smoothies, sauces, sorbets, soups
(hey I used an alliteration without even trying!)
AND
it comes with a container & blade for nuts & butters.
Why not just juice?
I'm so glad you asked. Juicers waste the precious fiber that our bodies need.
On my TuesdayMorningPlan an orange is 0pts, but that same orange after being
thrust through a juicer becomes a 2pt cup of juice.
Whuuuuuuut?!
I know.
I'll take the orange and the 0pts.
Hey! That's what the VitaMix does.
Please click on the highlighted word for more on the VitaMix benefits
because I just can't tell you everything
and not lose your interest
in the
smoothy!
One more thing! I dropped my VitaMix and a piece of the container
cracked off the bottom
and it's still
alive and kicking!
We use it several times a day.
And have you ever tried to clean a juicer?
You almost need an engineering degree to put it back together.
Jeez.
This BadBoy is the easiest.
So

get yourself a BadBoy!

Now, for the Protein:

Buckle Up!
This takes some explaining too.
I need protein because I'm running.
I don't eat tons of meat and I don't cook it much
at home.
I read some books Omnivore's Dilemma, 
Skinny Bitch (sorry friends, that's the title-read it on a recommendation), 
and 
many health articles that have led me to 
limit animal protein.
I won't ever give up meat all together
but I like to know where the meat
comes from.
Makes it expensive to buy all the time and less available, 
but we eat out plenty
so my kids are not lacking.
But I run, and my kids are growing, Jake is a towering teen 
and this protein powder is beefy.
Twenty Grams a serving!
Holy Moley- I use half a serving for myself.
One heaping scoop!
This protein powder is 
VEGAN,
20 ESSENTIAL VITAMINS AND MINERALS,
NO SATURATED FATS,
TRANS FATS OR CHOLESTEROL,
NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, FLAVORS OR COLORS!
The other thing we love about it is that it does not
make you feel
fat, bloaty, or farty.
I'm sorry! If you have tried protein shakes before
you know what I'm talking about.
TrueLove is hooked 
on this stuff
and doesn't cringe at the price
because he needs the protein
to sustain his weight
work outs.
So what if it's vegan, no farty, good for you, blahblahblah, but
DOES IT TASTE GOOD?
Ask Jake.
All I'm saying is "Oh.My.Gosh.So.Good.Vanilla.Wow."
Now you're probably wondering how to get it.
That's another story.
You'll have to meet my friend Kris
and she'll hook you up.
(or click on her name and it'll take you to her website.)
I use one heaping scoop.



OK. I'm going to hurry up already.
You need some Milk.

I alternate between Raw Milk, Almond Milk, or Coconut Milk.
TrueLove is into the Almond, it's easier to get and cheaper, 
and Jake likes it.
Use what you like.
One Cup

And Frozen Pineapples
1/2 Cup
(except I really like the pineapples and this 1/2 looks more like a whole).

You need Kale.
About 4 or 5 leaves.
I like to separate the leaves from the stem.
With your super shiny sharpest (I'm smokin' with alliterations today)
knife, just wedge the blade against the stem, and follow it down.
The leaves come off quick and clean.
If Jake can do it, you can do it.
He did it for me nicely so I could shoot pics.

Now all that goodness should be in the container of your VitaMix.


Now.
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!


Whirl it up until you get 
this:


Yum!
I could have made 100 of these in the time it took me 
to explain it.
The genius of this is that it's so easy.
I drink about 1/2 the container
(16-20 oz)
4pts.
I know that everyone is getting
what they need
as they start their day.
Quick! Easy! Healthy! Scrumptious!
and
you might be surprised to hear,
"______ ! HE LIKES IT!"
in your kitchen
too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I make green smoothies in the morings also, but I don't use a protein powder. I should try adding it!

    ReplyDelete