Thursday, September 22, 2011

Science and Food


I often pick up silly little books like this at
used book stores,
garage sales,
and such,
with all of the greatest
intentions
of incorporating them into our
hectic lives and
planned 
curriculums.
I haven't yet confided on this blog
that I 
homeschool
my
kids.
When you school at home
this is one of the things you do.
You look for things that
will make
life and learning
fun.
So now that I've used the phrase
"all of the greatest intentions"
it will not 
surprise anybody that
this dusty,
little beauty has 
barely been 
cracked open.
(I said we
"look for",
we hardly ever 
use
all the materials we gather.-
It's similar to a seamstress going to a
fabric sale
or a scrapbooker looking for paper,
we just can't get to
everything!)

During the summer you will remember
that we surprised our son
by making over 
his room
while
at
camp,
and in the process of doing so
I rediscovered several
"great intentions"
at the bottom
of drawers
and 
cubbies.
Well, 
I decided to crack open this silly little book
to investigate if it was age appropriate
still to use on my students-
hahahaha!
And I'm laughing because I said
"cracked!"
(It'll make sense-stay with me).
After I sat on the sofa looking all
homeschooly and academic
and responsible
and serious
and school administratory
and in control of our schedule
late summer,
I discovered something wonderful!!!
on page 20!
"Poached Egg Physics"



Now a quick side note:
I had an egg allergy that I discovered around 
17 and I spent the next 20 years of my life
avoiding eggs like the plague.
So all that time that I was cultivating my love of cooking,
perfecting recipes,
and 
collecting my repertoire of tried and true delicacies-
I had avoided eggs.
In my late 30's I had that allergy "fixed" 
by a kinesthesiologist
and 
happily began making up for lost time!
I started making and eating all
the good eggy dishes:
frittatas, creme caramels, omelettes,
crepes, and souffles,
all the decadent things 
I had missed.
But the poached egg 
brought
insecurity.
I couldn't seem to get it just right.

Now,
back to page 20.
"Poached Egg Physics"
The book lays out an experiment.
Here's what you need:
a tall, narrow pot
4 cups of water
a slotted spoon
a short, wide pot
2 raw eggs
a timer (optional)
Wait a minute.
I'm not doing an experiment.
Experiments are for the kids.
The students.
They need to learn by touching, feeling, and experimenting.
I need to know how to poach an egg.
I skipped past-
What To Do
What Happens
and down to the all important
Why?
which I believe will tell me
something important.
Basically,
I learned that I need to poach my egg
in a short,
wide,
pot
because it boils at a lower temp,
which means that it takes
less time
and 
my yolk is
PERFECT!

Reading on,
this little "science book"
is full of 
crazy helpful information.
In fact,
I am skipping now to 
page 57
which has the tricks and tips
to make beans
less
farty.

"Making Beans User-Friendly"
Despite their importance in our diet, beans often make us feel bloated and give us gas.....
Simple Kitchen Experiments: Learning Science
With Foods by Muriel Mandel





No comments:

Post a Comment