Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reliveit! Extreme! on so many levels



This weekend our adorable friend
Jamie McCloud 
got married to a fabulous vibrant woman,
Natalie.

I have dubbed their ceremony as
"Extreme Wedding".

It was Extreme
on so many levels!
Speaking of "levels"
let me start by saying that to get to the ceremony
you enjoyed a 10 minute
chairlift ride
up
June Mountain.
I sure wish I had pics to show you here.
I am afraid of heights.
My hands were were gripped on 
the very few bars to hold on to
and my eyes were closed
for most of the ride.
There was a moment
approaching the steepest part of the lift
that I snuck a quick peek
aND saw what really looked like
an ascension
in
to 
Heaven.
It was astounding
and 
my heart is pounding with 
awe
just remembering it!
 All dressed up,
whispering to my son
who had the "duty" of riding with me 
and keeping me calm,
I could see my daughters foot swinging
relaxed with my
TrueLove's arm around her
and I felt like
we were part of something
so special,
bigger than life,
and 
truly
Heavenly.
So I apologize that my paranoia 
prohibited
picture taking.
It was so amazing and romantic to watch
the whole wedding party
ascend by chair lift,
EVEN THE BRIDE,
the last one up,
in all her glory
cruised up the side of the mountain
while we listened 
to beautiful music
backdropped by the
 majestic Mammoth mountains.
A powerful red tailed hawk encircled
above
the exchanging of
vows,
a cross in the sky hovered 
(created by the crossing condensation
left by jets earlier),
and 
illustrious 
perfect
weather
marked the moment
permanently in history
as
simply
divine.
It was one of those moments
where I've experienced
the awesomeness
of 
what it feels like
when
HEAVEN 
MEETS 
EARTH!



So.
My fear of heights kicked in really good
on the drive up
to Mammoth.
Driving up to and through
Yosemite,
Tualome Meadows,
and 
through what looked like
Mars,
there were gnarly bends around the mountains,
with no guard rails,
and 
dramatically
intimidating
cliffs.
I will say that the views were astounding!
Glorious!
However, 
the tension from the fear,
really held me back from embracing the spectacular
sites
as one really ought to
when given the opportunity.
All of this happening,
with the notion of the chairlift 
looming above my head,
no pun intended.
I had made a statement to my son,
the day before,
while he was complaining about dressing up.
I told him,
"It is an honor to attend a wedding.
Someone thinks we are special enough
and loves us so much,
that on the happiest day
of their life,
they want to see us.
We honor them by being there.
We honor them by dressing up.
(I was trying to school him on why I'd heard enough complaining).
And that is why,
even though I am terrified of heights,
I will plant my fat butt 
on that chairlift
as a statement
that I honor Jamie's moment."
Yup!
Gulp!
It came out of my mouth,
in the presence of my son,
whom I have been trying to teach that doing hard things
is good for us---
so there I was 
with
 no possible way I to 
cheese out
at the last minute.


Fear takes a lot of energy.
Saturday morning as I laid in bed
thinking about Fear,
ugh-really?!
can you believe it?!
This is not how you should start your day.
This is a better idea:
I just prayed

God I need you to say something.

"Stand Up!

rrr! I was comfortable under the warm covers
thinking about how scary
everything was.

But I did it.

I stood up and went to the window where I could see
gorgeous mountains.
Here are some things that comforted me and I'm very sure it was
GOD
speaking them!

"You are not afraid of the chairlift. 
You're not afraid you'll fall to your death.
You're not afraid of the engineering.
You're not afraid that you won't make it.
You are not afraid of anything that is
rational.
You are afraid of a 
FEELING.
You are afraid of the feeling
that you tend to coddle.
That feeling you feel feels like Fear, but 
I want to walk you through that feeling so you can
experience it as Exhilaration!
As you drove here,
all of those turns that freaked you out,
led you to see secret beautiful things
hidden in natural wonders
that I prepared for you.
I want you to go up the chairlift because at the top
there is a GIFT.
I want to give you the gift of "AWE".

When God speaks that into your heart,
you know you've got to go with it.
The fear didn't instantly disappear but I was given
a promise
that there was a gift in it.

I want you to receive the gift of the part of my
character that takes your breath away
and 
leaves you with 
"AWE".
You are not the only one that gets freaked out
on the white knuckle passes.
However, 
you continue on the road,
freaked out because you know
the destination is 
worth it all.
I heard you marveling at the rock formations,
the purply alpine lakes,
the colors.
You knew that you had to endure the drive 
to experience the panoramic
glimpses
of Heaven in the 
character of nature.
I caught you thinking of the parallels of life
and the gnarly road.
The road is narrow and difficult to climb.
It has exceeding amounts of curves
that make you feel
so vulnerable, 
sometimes sick
and 
suprisingly
close to death.
But you don't stop 
and you can't go back.
You have to stay buckled up,
focused,
eyes on the road,
alert,
and aware that the destination is worth it.
Veering off road
would be 
perilous.
I know you thought about this.
I know you thought about how even though
it felt like you'd go over the cliff so many times
that you were listening 
to a still
small
voice
saying
that
' "You'll be ok." '


I wish I had spectacular pictures to put here.
I don't.
Just picture this:
at 40,
I'm still learning
how to walk through 
my 
fears.

Now I'm thinking
of the
first glimpse I caught 
of 
Natalie,
the bride,
coming up over the edge
of the horizon,
glamorously adorned in white silk,
relaxed in her beauty,
to the place
on the mountain
where her new life would begin.
WOW!
Marriage is a perfect
example
of 
fear,
unknown dangers,
and 
risk.
We say,
"I do"
because 
love 
in all it's 
purity and passion
is
WORTH
IT!
Natalie got to contemplate
on her 10 minute
lift
up
about how her single life
was being left
at the bottom of the mountain.
After taking that ride
she would plant her feet
on the rock
and make a love covenant
and come back down
with the gift 
of the
Love of her Life
Together,
Forever.
It was
Romantic.
Surreal.
Inspiring.
Magical.
Emotional.
Unparalleled.
Breathtaking.
and 
Extreme!

on so many levels




No comments:

Post a Comment